Amarillo “A” Series Gear Drives for Drop-in Replacement of Marley® Gear Drives
The “A” Series right angle gear drives for cooling towers from AMARILLO GEAR COMPANY are designed as direct replacements for the Marley® right angle gear drive used in Marley® cooling towers. Since there are no differences in the critical mounting dimensions, the “A” Series will make gear drive replacements easy. Gear housing foot patterns are identical, eliminating expensive gear drive support modifications. The input shaft diameters and keyways are the same, so existing couplings and drive shafts do not have to be replaced. All service ports are also easily accessible. Reduction ratios are within ±2% of the Marley® reduction ratios, eliminating the need to make costly fan pitch adjustments. And if parts and service are required for the “A” Series gear drive, they are generally readily available.
- Mounting base bolt pattern as well as centerlines and locations of input and output shafts are identical to Marley® gear drives. Output shafts, either cylindrical or tapered, are manufactured to match the existing diameter and configuration. These features permit direct field replacement of the Marley® gear box without the need for costly mounting base or structural modifications. Amarillo has dimensional replacements for both single and double reduction Marley® drives.
- Reduction ratios are within ±2% of Marley® ratios, eliminating the need for costly fan pitch adjustments.
- Amarillo Gear Company has complete in-house engineering and production control over the entire gear box design, manufacture, and assembly. This assures highest possible quality control.
- All bearings are supplied by major manufacturers and are tapered roller-type design. Bearings are sized to meet or exceed the specifications of the Cooling Technology Institute (CTI) for L10 life while carrying all loads transmitted by the cooling tower fan.
- Gears are hardened 58 to 64 Rockwell C, providing longest possible wear life.
- Dual spring loaded lip seals are used to seal the input and output shafts. In addition, the use of a labyrinth seal plate on the output shaft creates an additional barrier to contaminants.
- Amarillo Gear Drive design incorporates channels and baffles to provide adequate lubrication to upper bearings, even at low input speeds (450 rpm minimum). With our exclusive Low Speed Option, positive oil lubrication of the bearings can be assured at input speeds below 450 rpm for single reduction models.
- Amarillo Gear Drives are among the quietest in the industry. This is due to precision manufacture of the gears and how they are assembled into the gear drive housing. Sound level verification can be provided at time of manufacture.
- Expedited service to meet emergency requirements is generally available. Please contact the factory for availability. Amarillo Gear has an after-hours answering service for emergency requirements that arise after normal business hours.