- Parts & Renewals
- Cooling Tower Products
- Pumping Applications
- Marley® Drop-In
- Spiral Bevel Gears
Amarillo offers the largest selection of Large Pump Drives available in the world. They are available in several models ranging from 1000 HP at 1800 rpm to 3400 HP with ratios ranging from 1:1 to 6:1 reducing.
These models can be used for general purpose pumping, flood control, or fire pumps (many models are FM approved) and are designed to meet AGMA standards. They are designed and manufactured to the quality standards you come to expect from Amarillo Gear Co.
Amarillo Gear has a state-of-the-art gear drive testing laboratory capable of verifying gear drive design under loaded conditions. Complete noise and vibration certification can be supplied if required.
Amarillo gear drives are the result of an advanced gear development technology and quality control system. While costlier to produce, they offer distinct advantages in higher power ratings with superior smooth running characteristics.
HOW TO SELECT A PUMP DRIVE
The following information is required to select a gear drive:
1. Divide input rpm by output rpm to find the required gear ratio.
2. Select the closest ratio from the Horsepower and Thrust Ratings table. (Contact us if a special gear ratio is required.)
3. Proceed down the ratio column, comparing the catalog rating (at pump speed) to the requirement. Adjust the catalog rating for the required service factor if it is other than 1.5. Continue until the catalog rating is greater than or equal to the required horsepower (Interpolate for intermediate pump speeds.)
4. Verify the thrust rating of the selected gear drive to be equal to or greater than the required thrust load. Contact us if the thrust load is higher than thrust ratings given in the Horsepower and Thrust Ratings table.
5. Verify the figure of rotation with the drawings in Figure 1 - 4 below.
A solid shaft right angle gear drive is required to connect a 1800 rpm diesel engine to a 375 rpm vertical pump. The required power capacity is 780 hp with a service factor of 1.5. The pump can develop 25000 lb down thrust at duty. The horizontal shaft of the gear drive is CW and the vertical shaft, CCW.
1. Calculate the desired gear ratio 1800 / 375 = 4.8.
2. Select the closest ratio from the Horsepower and Ratings table. In this case, 5:1 ratio is the closest.
3. From this table, Model 1500A 5:1 rates 568 hp and 1800A 5:1, 880 hp (by interpolation) at 375 rpm pump speed. Model 1800A should be selected.
4. The thrust rating for Model SSL1800A at 375 rpm pump speed is 30459 lb (by interpolation), which is greater than the thrust load, 25000 lb.
5. Figure 1 should be selected for horizontal shaft rotating CW and vertical shaft, CCW.
The correct model designation would be SSL1800A 5:1. If the application requires a 1.75 S.F. instead of 1.5, we can recalculate Model 1800A 5:1 gear drive rating for the new S.F. as the following:
Calculate the gear drive power rating with 1.0 S.F.:
PSF1.0 = 880 * 1.5 = 1320 hp
• Calculate rating at 1.75 S.F. by dividing 1.75 into the power rating at 1.0 S.F.:
PSF1.75 = 1320 / 1.75 = 754 hp
• Since PSF1.75 is less than the required power rating (780 hp), the next larger model, 2200A, is considered. Model 2200A 5:1 rates 1276 hp (by interpolation) at 1.5 S.F. The rating at 1.0 S.F. is:
PSF1.0 = 1276 * 1.5 = 1914 hp
Calculate the rating for 1.75 S.F. as:
PSF1.75 = 1914/1.75 = 1094 hp
Model 2200A 5:1 power rating satisfies the requirement.
• The thrust rating of Model SSL2200A is 33267 lb (by interpolation), which is greater than the required thrust capacity.
If there is any question in selecting a drive, please contact us. Our engineering staff can help you select the best gear drive for your application.